emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] electric-pair and non-breakable spaces

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] electric-pair and non-breakable spaces
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 13:45:49 +0000

l@tlo writes:

> Typography is not exactly about WYSIWYG.

I have not said such a thing. What I wanted to say is that Org is a
format-agnostic language. And a format-agnostic language is more
efficient than a wygiwyg-based way of working, where format and content
are constantly confused. On the other hand, the fact of using a single
ASCII character, easily accessible from the keyboard, for quotes, it has
many more advantages apart from that 'laziness' you speak of. This is
especially useful with multilingual documents. I accept that Org itself
has a major limitation in this regard, since it does not have
multilingual support. But in LaTeX, thanks to the csquotes package, you
can define a single ascii character for first-level quotes and another
for second-level ones. And you can do things like this:

https://i.imgur.com/p3Rc6Ar.png

This is not laziness, it is simply efficiency.

And, following that philosophy, I can give you a more extreme example.
Thanks to opentype, and to LuaTeX, which allows you to virtually define
opentype substitution and positional properties, you can use a single
source text to produce two outputs. I have done this example with the
Gothic language and a fragment of the Ulfilas Bible:

With old Gothic alphabet:

https://i.imgur.com/WA3xx26.png

With modern transliterated alphabet:

https://i.imgur.com/cE1JylL.png

In short, they are substitutions that are made at the glyph level
(alographs vs. graphemes). As in the case of small caps and a thousand
other examples. However, if I followed your point of view, I would have
to put in Emacs the Roman numerals that accompany common names (such as
centuries) in small capitals, because that is the Spanish convention.
But doing that is just polluting with direct format. Much simpler to do
a global substitution to small caps, based on the context, in the output
format, not in the source file.

All of this is simply my point of view. Of course, if you prefer to do
it another way, everyone is free to use Emacs and Org however they see
fit.

(To finish: I am not a professional programmer. I am a philologist,
typographer and literary translator).

Best regards,

Juan Manuel
Juan Manuel Macías