emacs-humanities

[emacs-humanities] Improved oref.el (quick reference/citation system for

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: [emacs-humanities] Improved oref.el (quick reference/citation system for text files)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 13:52:45 -0500

Hi, everyone. I posted about the initial version of this tool a year ago (see thread "oref.el: quick reference/citation management in plaintext files" at [1]).

Now it's significantly improved:

Building the reference cache now happens in the background, i.e., asynchronously. Even if you have references across a very large tree, you can continue to use Emacs normally while the reference cache is rebuilding (when it's done, oref will notify you, with `display-buffer'.)

So, you can put something like...

 (oref-rebuild-refs my-huge-projects-folder)

...into your .emacs, without affecting Emacs startup time.

I hope others find this package useful. My company uses it extensively in LaTeX documents and in research notes, FWIW.

Questions / bug reports / patches welcome, as always. You can get oref.el here:

 https://code.librehq.com/ots/ots-tools/-/blob/main/emacs-tools/oref.el

Best regards,
-Karl

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-humanities/2022-10/msg00009.html