Re: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] GTD, Projects, and Next Actions in org-mode

From: Charles Cave
Subject: Re: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] GTD, Projects, and Next Actions in org-mode
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 09:08:23 +1000

Jason,

I use org-mode for my GTD-implementation and I am in the process of writing
a tutorial on using org-mode for GTD.

I was thinking how to solve the same problem of creating a project list.

An important use of a project list is a checklist during the weekly review
to ensure there is a Next Action (NA) defined for each project.
One approach I thought of is to have a top level heading for each project
as an implied project heading. For example:

* Work Projects
** Implement new web server for Intranet

** Negotiate new off site backup service

** Recruit System Administrator

* Home Projects
** Tidy out spare bedroom
** Tax return
** Organise dinner party

Therefore the level 2 headings shown above are the projects.

Following a weekly review the list could look like this:

* Work Projects
** Implement new web server for Intranet
*** Ring Company A for quotation :PHONE:
*** Ring Company B for quotation :PHONE:

** Negotiate new off site backup service
*** Call Total Recall company for quotation :PHONE:
*** Ask Bill how many Gigabytes we back up :PHONE:

** Recruit System Administrator
*** Write job description              :COMPUTER:
*** Send email to HR for salary range approval   :COMPUTER:

* Home Projects
** Tax return
*** Collect receipts from filing cabine :HOME:
*** Review bank statements to calculate interest earned :HOME:
** Organise dinner party
*** Ring Bill and Sue to set the date :PHONE:

Charles