Re: [Orgmode] checkbox cookies

From: srandby
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] checkbox cookies
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:49:44 -0400

In case some are wondering, Jörg is referring to a message I sent to him about updating org-mode in Carbon Emacs. I meant to send the message to this list, but I failed to hit "reply all" when I sent it and I didn't check its address before I sent it. Anyway, in case others are interested, the message is below.

---------

Hi Jörg,

I can't answer your question, but I've recently updated org-mode in
Carbon emacs. Here is what I did.

1. After decompressing org-6.06b.tar.gz, open the Makefile file, using
Emacs of course ;), in the org-6.06b folder.

2. You will see the following text

##----------------------------------------------------------------------
##  YOU MUST EDIT THE FOLLOWING LINES
##----------------------------------------------------------------------

First, you must provide the name of your Emacs binary. Mine is:

# Name of your emacs binary
EMACS=/Applications/Emacs/22.2/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

The /Applications/Emacs/22.2/ part is my quirky path to Emacs.app. From
what you've written, it appears that your path is straightforward as
follows:

# Name of your emacs binary
EMACS=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

Next, you must give the path to of Emacs.app. Mine is:

# Where local software is found
prefix=/Applications/Emacs/22.2

Yours should be:

# Where local software is found
prefix=/Applications

If you accidentally put a "/" at the end (as I did once), the
installation will fail.

Finally, put in the paths for the local lisp files and the info files as
follows:

# Where local lisp files go.
lispdir = $(prefix)/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes

# Where info files go.
infodir = $(prefix)/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info

Don't forget to C-x C-s to save the changes.

3. Now, open a terminal and cd to the org-6.06b directory that contains
the Makefile you just edited. Run the following:

$ make
$ sudo make install
$ sudo make install-info

The installation is complete. To check this do "M-x org-version" in
Emacs. You may have to restart Emacs first.

Scott Randby

-----

Jörg Hagmann wrote:
Hi Edward, hi Scott:

Thanks for the answers. I did use checkboxes before, so C-c C-c and C-c # were familiar. But it turned out that (properly!) updating to the recent org-version corrected everything. I recently changed from 10.4 to Leopard, it's possible that the problem existed since the switch---but I don't know.

Anyway: now I know how to update org-mode! Thanks, Scott.
Cheers, Jörg