[Orgmode] Re: How to get \\ in title or author?

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: How to get \\ in title or author?
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 11:47:18 +0200

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos wrote:
> Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I've asked the question on FCTT (fr.comp.text.tex) and already got an
>>> answer of Maneul Pegourie-Gonnard (who is expert on that matter):
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.fr/group/fr.comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/1b1af2e5291270e2#
>
> Bastien, there is still one problem, I think, with
> #+AUTHOR:
>
>   \author{one \\ two}
>
> and
>
>   \author{one \linebreak two}
>
> behave differently (the \linebreak has no effect), so if one wants the
> first behavior, the exporter's penchant to change \\ to
> \\textbackslash{} will not allow it. I'm not sure why \title and \author
> behave differently: I guess it's because \author is expanded inside a
> \tabular, whereas \title is not.

For sure, it'd be better if `\\' wasn't converted at all when exporting to
LaTeX (for the ones in the TITLE and AUTHOR meta-tags, at least).

But, in my case,

#+TITLE:     YYY \linebreak XXX
#+AUTHOR:    YYY \linebreak XXX
#+DATE:      2009-09-09
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en

[...]

is correctly converted into:

% Created 2009-09-09 Wed 11:37
\documentclass[final,book]{myreport}  % <-- our company class
\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{soul}

\usepackage{xcolor}
\usepackage{listings}

\title{YYY \linebreak XXX}
\author{YYY \linebreak XXX}
\date{2009-09-09}

\begin{document}

[...]

and the PDF output of both the Title line and the Author line is on two lines
(perfectly centered, horizontally).

Is your `\maketitle' redefined?

Best regards,
  Seb