Re: [Orgmode] From formatted to table

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] From formatted to table
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:07:25 -0400

Jonathan Arkell <address@hidden> wrote:

> I do a macros for this
>
> Put the point on the first word of the table
> Record Macro
> Search for " "
> Insert "|"
> Tab (next column)
> Tab (first column next row
> Stop Recording.
>
> Then just C-x e (run macro) until the job is done.   If you know how many l=
> ines are on the table, you can use a prefix argument with C-x e.

Two things to add to Jonathan's answer:

o You don't have to know the length of the table: just mark the region
containing the table, C-x n n (narrow-to-region) and C-0 C-x e to repeat
the macro for ever or until an error occurs, whichever comes first :-)
Then widen: C-x n w

o Alternatively, "It's just text" (TM), so you can use a
sed/perl/awk/python/foo script to do arbitrary
transformations. Blasphemy, I know, but emacs doesn't have to do
everything.

You can even run the script from within emacs: mark the region and C-u
M-| (shell-command-on-region with the prefix argument specifying that
that output of the command is to replace the region) with the following
script

should do the trick. It's utterly liberating to be able to use all sorts
of different tools on your file and the single, most important advantage
of org-mode when compared to all the other systems out there.

HTH,
Nick