Re: [O] Alternate format for datetree

From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin
Subject: Re: [O] Alternate format for datetree
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 12:08:22 -0400

Hello,

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 12:42 AM, c b <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi John and Nick,

[snip]

>> * 09
>> ** 05
>> *** 2012 - Wednesday
>> **** [2012-09-05 Wed 22:31] My first working month tree note
>> **** [2012-09-05 Wed 22:35] My first working month tree note
>>
>> #2 The time always is reported as 22:31 (I guess that's the time I launched
>> emacs). Is there a way for the time stamp to be corrected based on the
>> current time? I generally leave emacs running for days together, so the time
>> it's launched doesn't really work for me.
>
> Did you change the above to 21:35 or did it file like that? Not sure
> why H:M wouldn't expand to the current date. One thing that just
> occurred to me, however, is to replace that whole timestamp string
> with "%%U% and Org will just expand it to a date+time stamp.
>
> Good luck,
> John

This is actually an issue with all of the backtick elements in the
capture template but it shows up most obviously in the timestamp
portion.  I only realized this after providing the solution that John
had referenced earlier in this thread.  Backticks are expanded on
evaluation and resolve to the specific value of their called portions.
 So for the headlines you will need to re-evaluate the template every
day to update it (or restart emacs).

For the timestamp itself you should be able to use the %U escape in
the capture template and it will insert the date and time on it's own.

Jon