Re: [O] Formatting R output

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Formatting R output
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:06:39 -0400

G. Jay Kerns <address@hidden> wrote:

> > From: Neuwirth Erich <erich.neuwirth <at> univie.ac.at>
> > 1) a mild annoyance.
> >
> > src_R{1+1} inserts the result 2 in the output. In fact, it inserts =2=.
> > When one runs the file repeatedly, org-mode does not remove older results.
> > So if I replace src_R{1+1} by src_R{2+2} and do not remove the last output,
> > My file will contain
> >
> > src_R{2+2} =4= =2=
> >
> > Also, If I run the inline code segment by C-c C-c one, the org file ail
> > contain just 1
> > correct result, bit if afterwards I export the file (to LaTeX or html),
> > the exported file will have 2 copies of the result.
> >
> > Is there anything the developers can do about this?
>
> I can confirm that if a person does not remove old output but changes
> input to the inline code segment then the exported file will have both
> the correct output plus the (old) incorrect output.  My strategy to
> avoid this is use C-c C-c sparingly just to check whether the output
> is as expected, then always erase output.  If I am going to use an org
> file with C-c C-c a lot (for a lecture, say), then I keep a copy for
> exporting clean and separate from the one I am going to do a lot of
> C-c C-c'ing with.  YMMV.

IMO, the solution would come in two pieces:

- an org-babel-before-execute-hook to complement the
org-babel-after-execute-hook
- fixing org-remove-result to work with inline source code blocks - my
  attempt to use it zapped the closing brace as well as the actual
  result: "This is R code: src_R{2 + 2".

Given these two however, you could add the remove function to the hook and
that'd be that.

Nick