Re: [O] [Bug] Bug in org-depend, was: Strange behavior of property-searc

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: [O] [Bug] Bug in org-depend, was: Strange behavior of property-search and org-tags-view
Date: 4 Nov 2012 21:21:33 +0100

"Sven Bretfeld" <address@hidden> writes:

> Whenever I do a property-search (C-a / p) or an org-tags-view, some
> org-buffers are touched and need to be saved again, i.e. they display
> the ** flag in the status line and in Ibuffer.
>
> It is always the same three files, that seemingly have changed (in fact,
> they didn't change at all). They all belong to my org-agenda-files but
> this contains many other files too, which remain unchanged. So, there
> are two wired miracles involved:
>
> 1. What makes these three files so specially vulnerable?
> 2. Why does any file (apparently) "change" at all by a search operation?
>
> I'm using Emacs 23.3.1 under Ubuntu 11.10 and org-mode 7.8.03 of the
> sticky branch.

Hi

It took me a good hour to find the package that produced the problem.
It's org-depend. I narrowed down my .emacs to a minimum:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org/lisp")
(require 'org-install)
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org/contrib/lisp")
(require 'org-depend)

(setq org-agenda-files (list "~/myconf/mygtd.org" "~/myconf/googlecalendar.org"
"~/myconf/from-mobile.org" "~/myconf/diary.org"
"~/aktuell/orthodoxy/hab-diary.org"))

(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)

When I comment out the fifth line (require 'org-depend), everything is
fine. With org-depend loaded, a "org-tags-view keywords={Something}"
affects the buffers of some of the open org-agenda-files. I still don't
know why only some files are affected. It happens only if actually some
matches are found by the query. But it's not only the corresponding
files which are corrupted.

So, I think org-depend needs some revision. It's a useful package, but
this bug is annoying.

Sven

P.S. I had updated to the latest stable version of orgmode, so it's not
an obsolete bug.