Re: [O] [BUG] `org-load-noerror-mustsuffix´ is n ot defined, introduced

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] `org-load-noerror-mustsuffix´ is n ot defined, introduced by 5484a33b
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:48:22 +0100

Eric Schulte writes:
> These sounds like a Emacs-wide (or possibly find-library) issues, rather
> than anything specific to Org, outlining, agendas or plain text notes.
>
> Shouldn't this sort of discussion and development be taking place on
> emacs-dev and in non-org Emacs libraries.

I've already taken this problem to emacs-devel since it is indeed a
general problem.

> In my opinion the only reason to try to solve these issues in Org-mode
> proper is if we are testing out new functionality which will eventually
> be adopted by core Emacs.  Otherwise I would argue that such development
> within Org-mode is a waste of Org-mode development time, effort and code
> complexity.

I might still propose a workaround for Org since it is unlikely that
Emacs 24.3 will already ship with an improved package manager and in any
case older Emacsen would not have it.  Also, Org is in a somewhat unique
position right now, being both in Emacs' core and ELPA at the same time
and this is what made the problem so highly visible (as I'm sure you're
painfully aware of by now).

> At the least perhaps such load/require mechanisms should be extracted
> into a separate library with no Org-mode specific code.  Then Org-mode
> could make use of these libraries, but so could other large systems
> distributed with Emacs but developed independently (e.g., gnus).

Yes, the plan (yet to be fully developed) is to add some basic
infrastructure to Emacs that an updated package manager can then use —
or individual libraries if they desire to do this, although I'd be happy
to leave it to package manager.

Regards,
Achim.