Re: [O] gnus: link annoyance

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] gnus: link annoyance
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 20:37:08 -0500

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> François Pinard writes:

>> Org could tell Gnus that I am not really reading an article as if I was
>> using Gnus interactively.

> You keep saying that; while clearly you could coerce Gnus into doing
> something like that I'm not sure Gnus would entertain to listen to
> such a request.  This is probably best asked on a Gnus mailing list,
> but it seems that Gnus wants to present search results in an ephemeral
> group.  If you treat a link as a search that finds one article, then
> the problem you're trying to solve goes away, I'd think.

The whole discussion is about how Org mode should best follow "gnus:"
links.  I surely do not mind if Org uses ephemeral groups or any other
kind of machinery.  My only suggestion is that, whatever the mechanics,
Org following a "gnus:" link should manage so Gnus does not change the
article flags.  If Org asks Gnus to perform a search to locate a given
article, it seems like overkill to me, but I may well be wrong and not
see the advantages.

François