Re: [O] Long lines prevent Org mode!

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Long lines prevent Org mode!
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:18:38 +0100

Hello Nick and François,

François Pinard wrote:
> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I cut and paste and then use either C-c m (bound to
>> message-mark-inserted-region) or C-c q (bound to boxquote-region)
>
> Thanks for these hints, which I saved on keys here! :-)

Please note it is `C-c M-m' (bound in `message.el') for adding "cut
here" lines above and below the region.

OTOH, `C-c q' seems to be Nick's own binding.

>> Of course, if your problem is that your mailer (or some mailer along
>> the way) mangles the content, then the safest thing to do is to put it
>> in an attachment or post it on some pastebin and send a link.
>
> Sure.
>
> My little problem was different.  If I use Org in-line markup, like
> bold, italics, or links to Web sites, or even block markup like
> fragments between #+BEGIN_SRC and #+END_SRC, say, I was wondering how
> this is best transmitted within a message, in the text, without
> resorting to an attachment.  Gnus as a reader surely has some capability
> somewhere, as I think I saw messages displaying Org code nicely; I just
> do not remember how it was done.  Outside Gnus, it might be more
> problematic to find a useful way to have Org included.  Sending Org all
> raw is sometimes a bit noisy, especially for links.

Using `C-c M-m' will add "cut here" lines, and Gnus will highlight the
code inside it with one common color: so, no syntax highlighting
depending on the language.

Using `C-c C-v C-d' to demarcate your region as code, and give the
language, you'll get a nice highlighting of the code inside Gnus (for
the readers): that was on my first real patch for Org (in fact, for
Gnus), back in November 2010 or so.

> Someone recently mentioned org-mime.el, new to me, maybe this is the
> proper avenue?  I should at least play and experiment with it! :-).

This is mainly useful for sending HTML-export (or Org-export) of an Org
section.

Best regards,
  Seb

--