[O] [babel] suggestion: wrap creation of graphics into try() block

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: [O] [babel] suggestion: wrap creation of graphics into try() block
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 14:36:32 +0100

Hi

I have two suggestions which are liked to each other. They are based
on R code blocks, but the should be useful for other languages as well.

I have a document in which I use :session for creating R graphs. These
look like:

#+begin_src R :file Correlation_1.pdf :results graphics
  IFN.mean <- load.IFN.mean()
  grid <- load.grid.CASTANEA.average()
  image(IFN.mean)
#+end_src

Everything works fine, unless there is an error in one graph.

In this case, the device remains open, which leaves open devices at
the end of the export of the document.

If the code block which should create the graph would be wrapped into
a try() block, so that it would look like the following:

try(
  {
  pdf("./Correlation_1.pdf")
  IFN.mean <- load.IFN.mean()
  grid <- load.grid.CASTANEA.average()
  image(IFN.mean)
  }
)
dev.off()

The device would be closed even if an error occurred during the
execution of the code.

But still, when  exporting to pdf, the call to pdflatex fails as only
a empty pdf is available. So it becomes necessary to go through the
pdf log to identify the graphs which failed.

In this case it would be useful, to have a placeholder grah in the
final pdf, so that one can see which graphs did not work.

In addition, this could be used as placeholders (well - they are
placeholders) for to be created graphs, while the text has already
been written.

So my second suggestion would be to include a placeholder image, which
would be used if the generation of the actual graph fails. It would be
great (but not necessary) if the actual error message would be in the
image.

Cheers,

Rainer
- --