[O] Assistance with patching instructions on Worg

From: John Hendy
Subject: [O] Assistance with patching instructions on Worg
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:33:37 -0600

Greetings,

I've only contributed to Worg, not the Org manual. I want to submit a
change to the documentation per an earlier discussion.[1] I'm
attempting to follow the Worg suggestion for submitting patches.[2]

Here was my process

cd ~/.elisp/org.git
git pull
make clean && make

git branch org-src-preserve-whitespace
git checkout org-src-preserve-whitespace

emacs doc/org.texi

[make changes to documentation]

git commit -m "Update documentation to org-src-preserve-indentation."

git format-patch master

But no files were generated... Am I doing something incorrectly?

Here's the current output of =git status=

On branch org-src-preserve-whitespace
Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

modified:   doc/org.texi

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

UPDATE: just on a whim, I did `git commit -am "notes"` and now it
works. Since the file exists, why is -am necessary vs. just -m? Or
perhaps another question is why Worg suggests just -m. Should/would
this work under some circumstance?

I can update Worg with -am if this is the proper/necessary way.

Thanks,
John

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-01/msg01505.html
[2] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#sec-4