[O] exporting link abbreviations

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: [O] exporting link abbreviations
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 17:57:34 +0100

hi.  i'm playing with the example in the manual of a google map link
(gmap:).  technology is wonderful, and it's amazing (to simple-minded
me) to see the map pop up with the locations.

but, i'm less happy with how these links look when i've provided no
description and they are exported.  if i have a link like:
----
[[gmap:123 Main Street, Our Town, California, United States]]
----

what is *shown* on the exported web page (say) is something ugly like:
----
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=123%20Main%20Street,%20Our%20Town,%20California,%20United%20States
----

i'd rather not specify the address twice (once in the link tag, a second
time in the link description), out of laziness, i guess (but also for
2nd-normal-form'ity).

what i'd *like* the user to see on the web page is the address ("123
Main Street, Out Town, California, United States", in this example).

i could define a macro:
----
#+MACRO: gmap   [[gmap: $1][$1]]
----
and invoke it with
----
{{{gmap(123 Main Street Los Altos California United States)}}}
----

but then
1) i'd have to get rid of the commas in the address (it might
be nice to have a "$*" or some such to give the entire argument ); and

2) i wouldn't have the link active in my org-mode buffer itself
(something i find so magical, plus it helps entering the info to be able
to check the map before exporting).

i wonder if there's something i've missed?  or, if something could be
added?

cheers, Greg Minshall