Re: [O] Is OrgMode really GTD compliant?

From: Samuel Loury
Subject: Re: [O] Is OrgMode really GTD compliant?
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 15:26:46 +0200

Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2014-04-29 12:30, Samuel Loury <address@hidden> writes:
>> Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:
>>> On 2014-04-28 19:18, Rene <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I have not defined an Energy property, but I recently played with date
>>> properties (and a user defined sorting function). If it's helpful to
>>> you, the code is there:
>>> https://github.com/brabalan/org-review/blob/master/org-review.el#L156
>> I looked at the code and I don't get what means the part of the code
>> getting the org-marker text property of a:
>> (get-text-property (point-min) 'org-marker a)
>> In this part, the point-min returns the point-min of the current buffer
>> (the agenda buffer in that case) while the function looks for the
>> property into a.
>>
>> I tried launching this code into a custom agenda compare function and I
>> get the error:
>> Args out of range: 1197, 1197
>> This makes sense since the agenda appears to be narrowed at that time so
>> that (point-min) returns 1197 and the a string at this time is not 1197
>> characters long.
>>
>> Replacing (point-min) by 0 appears to work (I assumed the 0th character
>> of the string has the wanted text property).
>
> I used to have `1' instead of `point-min', but I changed it following
> a suggestion from Bastien
> (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/85217/focus=85241).
Thanks for the link.

I am not a good lisp hacker, so I cannot be sure of this, but I suppose
Bastien did not notice the last argument 'a'. Indeed, the function is
defined as:

(get-text-property POSITION PROP &optional OBJECT)
Return the value of POSITION's property PROP, in OBJECT.
OBJECT should be a buffer or a string; if omitted or nil, it defaults
to the current buffer.
If POSITION is at the end of OBJECT, the value is nil.

Then, the POSITION argument is the position in OBJECT to look for the
property. Therefore, the use of a function related to the current buffer
(like point-min) seems to strongly assume that OBJECT is the current
buffer (or nil).

In that case, OBJECT is not the current buffer but a string called
'a'. Thus, IIUC, it makes no sense to use OBJECT=a and
POSITION=(point-min).

--
Konubinix
GPG Key    : 7439106A