Re: [O] BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER [cont]

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER [cont]
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 01:43:39 -0400

Hi Nicolas,

2014ko ekainak 20an, Nicolas Goaziou-ek idatzi zuen:

> Hello,
>
> Ken Mankoff <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 2014-06-20 at 04:50, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>>> I suggest to use existing solutions instead: configure
>>> `org-latex-classes'.
>>
>> I'm all for using existing solutions, but cannot see how I might use
>> this to easily customize export differently for different documents when
>> large amounts of LaTeX preamble code is being used.
>
> It's quite simple. You add your large amount of LaTeX preamble code in
> a new class, e.g., "my-class", in `org-latex-classes'. Then, in all
> documents needing this preamble code, you just add:
>
>  #+latex_class: my-class
>
> Rinse and repeat for each document type.

There are two issues with this solution.

The first is that editing non-trivial latex code embedded in an elisp
string quickly becomes tedious, whereas it’s much pleasanter in org
using org-edit-special, syntax highlighting of src blocks, etc.

The second is that it’s impossible to share without distributing elisp
code.  From the twin standpoints of reproducible research and security,
I think org ought to maximize the degree to which export use cases are
sharable without resorting to executing elisp code.  There’s a threshold
beyond which it’s impossible to keep these goals, of course.  But it’s
worth considering how org-latex-classes and friends might adapt to
increase the territory that falls within rather than outside the
Turing-complete boundary.

Just my 2 cents,

--
Aaron Ecay