Re: [O] Org-mode extensions used to publish a dissertation

From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode extensions used to publish a dissertation
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 11:00:06 +0200

Many thanks Eric for this email and the attachment.

Of course it is very useful.

Hi List,

I thoroughly enjoyed using Org-mode to write my dissertation.  I was
happy to be able to export (mostly) equivalent versions of the document
to HTML and PDF.  I'd recommend using Org-mode for such a complex
writing task to those who are either willing to hack the exporter, or
are willing to accept an Org-mode document with inline LaTeX which only
/really/ works with the LaTeX backend.

As I fall in the former category, here are the small extensions to the
Org-mode exporter which I found necessary.  Thanks to the new exporting
backend they were uniformly easy to implement.  They are included in the
attached elisp file.  Each pagefeed (^L) in the file marks a new section
of functionality, the sections are as follows...

 1. Ignore Headlines and keep content (discussed here recently)
 2. Multi-column Table Cells
 3. Wide tables extend into the margins.
 4. Wide tables squeezed within the margins
 5. "sc" links for the \sc{} latex command
 6. "gls" links for the \gls{} family of Glossary commands
 7. color links
 8. TIKZ figure links
 9. Tie certain latex commands to the preceding word.
10. Fix emphasis in text export

A simplified version of my Makefile is also attached.  I hope someone
finds this useful.

Best,
Eric

Can you tell us how using the Makefile in order to test all these functions for a dissertation? I am  especially interested by points 2 and 8.

Best wishes ,

Jo.