Re: [O] org-capture -- optionally add time-of-day as with C-c . ?

From: John Magolske
Subject: Re: [O] org-capture -- optionally add time-of-day as with C-c . ?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 11:57:40 -0800

Hi Aaron,

* Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> [160210 11:22]:
> Using %^T seems to give the desired behavior you describe in your
> message.  Can you try it and see if it works for you?  (Regrettably,
> it’s not obvious from the docstring of ‘org-capture-templates’ that it
> should behave like that, since %T is supposed to insert a time
> unconditionally.  But in my testing, %^T only inserts a time if one is
> entered by the user.)

I just tried %^T and it did not work -- a time-of-day was included in
all cases. What *did* work however is the lowercase %^t version. With
that in my org-capture template, just the date is inserted, except when
an explicit time-of-day is entered at the minibuffer prompt. Then that
time is added after the date. This makes picking dates & times with
org-capture a breeze.

Thanks for clueing me in!

John

--