Re: Any reason not to generate my own custom ID value (NOT CUSTOM_ID)?

From: TRS-80
Subject: Re: Any reason not to generate my own custom ID value (NOT CUSTOM_ID)?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 19:33:55 -0400

On 2020-09-10 18:20, Samuel Wales wrote:
this or something similar has definitely been discussed on this
mailing list.  so you are not alone.

Yes, I also thought certainly this must have been discussed before.  I
did try searching the list, but I think the relevant search terms are
too common, short ("ID", etc.) and/or too close to unrelated things
(i.e. CUSTOM_ID when I am looking for "custom ID", etc.) to produce
any good results.  Or maybe my search-fu is just bad.

although i undersatnd the whole thing as readable id's.  dunno if that
is the prupose.

Essentially, yes, more readable.  But also shorter, and perhaps most
importantly, /meaningful/.

maybe something like a timestamp and then the usual id would give you
pretty good uniqueness.

The uniqueness I outlined in OP (down to minute) is plenty enough for
my use-case.  The /last/ thing I want to do is to go the other way, and
make the ID even longer!

I do appreciate all the replies so far.  However as I plan on relying
on this to implement some quite critical functionality for a package I
am working on (a sort of Zettelkasten / TiddlyWiki in Orgmode if you
will) I would feel a lot more comfortable with some additional
reassurences that what I am planning is not some crazy or bad idea.

Thanks,
TRS-80