Re: STOP this patch for now.

From: Christian Hopps
Subject: Re: STOP this patch for now.
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 08:02:19 -0400

stardiviner <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:

    On Jul 8, 2021, at 4:59 PM, Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>
    wrote:

    It may eventually be incorporated into the very popular emacs-mac
    port (railwaycat tap in homebrew); however, it will probably not
    be incorporated into the nextstep/emacs main code. I started
    looking at doing a version for the mainline code, but it’s hard
    to get motivated b/c using that version of emacs on OS X is a
    pretty sub-par experience.

Thanks for your work on this support. I found upstream is less
active. Don’t know when will be merged.

    I only commented on this b/c I think you might are disabling
    notifications-notify which work great with my code changes, and
    using something else if you see Darwin OS, and that will break my
    native “Just Works” support for notifications, which again may
    end up on many peoples machines. I would ask that the patch be
    modified in a way that didn’t break native support if present
    before it was accepted.

    Also as you can see by the multiple patches you’ve submitted
    there’s really no good answer for an external notifier, so
    whatever you pick is probably going to be wrong for someone I
    guess.

Yes, this troubled my too. Currently no good solution. I will stop
this patch for now. Wait for upstream emacs-mac port support. Hope it
will be arrived in at leas half of year.

You could add a comment to the pull-request in support of merging. :)

https://bitbucket.org/mituharu/emacs-mac/pull-requests/10

FWIW, if you are currently using the railwaycat tap in homebrew you can just
switch to my tap and you'll get the support right now. It should be just as
easy to install.

Thanks,
Chris.

    If this patch is going to be accepted I would ask that it

    1) be conditional (disable-able with a variable)
    2) do the check for the custom installed external notifier and if
    not present then fallback to using the emacs supplied
    notifications-notify
    3) not restrict notifications-notify to gnu/linux only.

    That way people that have already developed solutions for this
    won’t have them broken.

    Thanks,
    Chris.

        On Jul 7, 2021, at 8:00 PM, stardiviner <numbchild@gmail.com>