Re: Org table: emphasizing calculated cell

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: Re: Org table: emphasizing calculated cell
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 07:07:17 +0300

Greetings Norwid.

Norwid Behrnd <nbehrnd@yahoo.com> writes:

> try extending the format of the table formula with asterisks, i.e.
>
> ```
> | quantity |  value |
> |----------+--------|
> | A        |      1 |
> | B        |      3 |
> |----------+--------|
> | *C*      | *0.33* |
>
> #+TBLFM:  @4$2=@-2/@-1; *%.2f*
> ```
>
> Subsequently, issue the call ```C-c *``` for an update while the
> cursor is within the table.  This approach works well enough for me
> (equally for emphasis with enclosing forward slashes, or underscores)
> in Emacs' native display (backed by elpa-org 9.4.0) as well as for a
> subsequent export into .html and display (e.g., in Firefox), or .tex.

Excellent, this is a working solution for the basic case. Much
appreciated!

This solution seems to change the contents of a cell, not only its
formatting. So the following, where I try to increase the value of "C"
by one, leads to an error:

```
| quantity | value  |
| A        | 1      |
| B        | 3      |
| D        | #ERROR |
#+TBLFM: @4$2=@-2/@-1; *%.2f*::@5$2=@-1+1
```

I wonder if there is a way around this effect?

Jarmo