Simplified Org mode for newcomer Emacs veterans (was: Org mode and Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Simplified Org mode for newcomer Emacs veterans (was: Org mode and Emacs (was: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package))
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 18:56:03 +0800

Tom Gillespie <tgbugs@gmail.com> writes:

> With regard to the key-bindings straw man. I guess I'm a bit of an
> outsider on this one, because I started writing org documents by just
> typing them in and only over time learning some of the bindings. Maybe
> having an org-markup-mode or something like that would be a way to
> provide a sandbox for the +recalcitrants+ newcomers? It might also be
> a nice way to a/b test them on whether the Emacs editing commands
> really are as good as they think they are (said the evil-mode user).

It can be either a simplified org-markup-mode or a series of minor-modes
that enable different sets of bindings. Something like:
org-structure-edit-mode, org-table-edit-mode, org-babel-edit-mode, etc

However, the tricky question is: What should be the default?

If we have org-markup-mode (disabled by default), how would the
newcomers know to enable it?

If we have the alternative set of minor modes and disable them by
default, will the existing Org mode users accept the need to adjust the
configuration?

Can we address the above concerns without dissatisfying neither the
existing Org users nor the newcomers?

Best,
Ihor