Re: About 'inline special blocks'

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: About 'inline special blocks'
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 18:19:44 +0000

Max Nikulin writes:

> If alternative text for images and description of
> links are not convincing [...]

It does convince me, Maxim, that's why I told you in my previous message
that you were right in that example you had put about the alternate
text. And my question was (and still is) if you consider that a scenario
of this type, where the attributes are part of the content and not the
output format (and the latter happens in 90% of the cases) could occur
in the inline special blocks. If so, then I'm fine with inline special
blocks supporting attributes. But in my opinion this data should somehow
go outside the paragraph. Or be hidden as in the links.

I still think, however, that the attributes are unnecessary for inline
special blocks. I can't find any examples where they might be needed and
not something that is resolved at the global style level[1] or via
export filter. But I'm open to considering examples and use cases.

[1] There are cases in LaTeX of commands with more than one argument,
e.g. \foreignlanguage{lang}{content}, \textcolor{color}{content} and
the like. But even those can be simplified from the preamble by defining
macros with a single argument. And in Babel you can also do something
like \babeltags{de = german} and write \textde{text in german}.

The csquotes package is an extreme case, where there are intra-paragraph
commands that take optional arguments to \cite and punctuation, but I
think org-cite would be more appropriate in these cases:

\foreigntextquote{lang}[cite][punct]{text}

Best regards,

Juan Manuel