emacs-tangents

Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 23:47:16 +0300

* Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> [2021-01-07 23:35]:
> On 07.01.2021 22:16, Jean Louis wrote:
> > > Again, it's not a software directory.
> > >
> > > It's primary use case is when you*search*  for some package and then see
> > > the
> > > available versions, where they are distributed, and who maintains them.
> > >
> > > As such, the necessary knowledge about the user is "the user searched for
> > > this package name".
> > When clicking on this page:
> > https://repology.org/projects/
> >
> > It shows all packages from A-Z making it software directory by
> > definition here:https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/directory
>
> They're just showing their data in all arrangements they could come up with.
> It's not a significant use case, compared to others.

Sure. I have seen it. I do not know why it matters if it is directory
or not, index, catalogue, search engine, database, call it as you wish.

> > repology.el package probbaly provides only access to searches within
> > the full database.
>
> And yet, you still argue that it is doing something wrong, somehow.

I never said that, neither I have argued about what repology.org is
doing neither judged the website.

I have argued about repology.el package that does not belong to GNU
ELPA as that way GNU project would be giving references to
proprietary software.

Jean