emacs-tangents

Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 14:00:32 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > What you are effectively saying is that GNU software can not
>   > mention non-GNJ software and can not be used to read/find or in
>   > any way interact with non GNU software.
>
> That is very different from what I said.  So different that I don't
> see how to try to correct the misunderstanding.
I think it was an answer of Alfred I was quated there, not yours.
I don't know what of your words you are referring to.

>   > Thus Eli or anyone else can not use any piece of GNU software to
>   > read or interact with non free software since non free software
>   > can't even be mentioned by GNU software.
>
> Have you ever visited a web site that is not mentioned in your
> browser's documentation or in Emacs?  I would expect you have.

I don't understand how is that an argument for this discussion? With all
the respect to you.

If today's web browser do not conform to the GNU standard as
(mis)interpreted by some hard-core people here, than those browser's do
not follow GNU guidelines. I am not sure what they should do to actually
conform to that point 8. of guidelines if they are not to mention or
display sites that refer to non-free software. If they are to conform to
the GNU guidelines (as of current) they should not render those sites
(or fetch them).

The point: consider repology.el to be just another browser; I don't see
what would be difference if someone opens repology.org in Emacs or in
Firefox.