emacs-tangents

Re: [syl20bnr/spacemacs] Proposal to improve GPL compliance (#14444)

From: github . com
Subject: Re: [syl20bnr/spacemacs] Proposal to improve GPL compliance (#14444)
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 10:21:30 +0300

* Lucius Hu <notifications@github.com> [2021-03-03 09:19]:
> > Emacs Lisp code is modifying the original Emacs.
>
> So if one writes shell script is he modifying the shell? Or when I
> program on my proprietary programmable calculator, am I modifying
> the calculator and therefore violated the copyright of its
> manufacture?

Spacemacs is not shell script that does something separate for itself
separate from Emacs as editor and environment.

If one writes a shell script that modifies the behavior of Bash shell,
and distributes such in public, then such shell script becomes new
combined work that modified Bash and is modified work.

When you program on your proprietary programmable calculator, that
issue is not related to free software, especially not because you have
not say that you are distributing it.

> > Spacemacs files do not have proper copyright notices, could you please
> look into that issue as that is one practical thing you can improve,
> it impacts users of Spacemacs and helps them understand the licensing.
>
> No. I don't like stupid people. Stop your balderdash and get off this
> repository.

That is unfortunate to see such statement.