Re: [ESPResSo] Espresso: Surface Force Analysis

From: Axel Arnold
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo] Espresso: Surface Force Analysis
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:37:38 +0200

> The stress tensor approach might not be the right approach if Espresso has
> a way to displaying outputs for the force fields, or forces exerted upon
> an atom. We are not sure about a command from the User Guide, but this
> could probably be done by looking deeper at the algorithms.

Hi,

if you want to see the total forces acting on a particle, you can just use
"part $id print force" in Tcl; however, doing this every time step is
extremely inefficient.

Another thing to consider is that the total force on a particle includes the
random forces from the thermostat, if you plan to use one. The typical
approach if you want to measure forces is to do so every couple of 100 time
steps to improve statistical independence, then switch off the thermostat,
calculate the forces, and then continue, i.e.
"thermostat off; integrate 0; part $id print forces; thermostat langevin 1 1"
In case you are interested in the forces only from a specific interaction, you
will need to temporarily switch off the other interactions, by setting the
prefactor to 0 (e.g., k for FENE, eps for Lennard-Jones).

Cheers,
Axel

--
Dr. Axel Arnold