Re: [ESPResSo] Questions about Thermostat

From: Christoph Junghans
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo] Questions about Thermostat
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 14:50:00 +0200

Hello Lorenzo,

TGAMMA TCUTOFF TWF are the value for the transverse dpd (also still undocumented, see http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/b713568h ). Set it to zero first.

The problem with DPD is essentially that nothing is done to the center of mass of the particles the dpd acts on, because F_ij=-F_ji. So you will have to: subtract the COM movement at the analysis (which is done in case of diffusion by analyze msd already) or set it to zero (which is done by galileiTransformParticles).

You will have to set up:
inter i i inter_dpd ... for the cluster-particles
inter j j inter_dpd ... for the non-cluster-particles
inter i j inter_dpd ... for the interaction between the both, maybe use zeros here to uncouple.

Bye,

Christoph

Lorenzo Isella schrieb:
Hello Christoph,
Your suggestion sounds really interesting.
I still doubt that it can be useful in a simulation starting with
individual monomers (basically, I do not know which aggregates I am
generating while evolving the system; this is done when
post-processing the results and looking at the individual positions of
all the monomers).
Nevertheless, I think that your suggestion would help me a lot when
studying the aggregate diffusion properties.
In that case, I already select an aggregate generated from a previous
simulation, make many copies of it and put all of them in the middle
of a box. Since I consider the i-th cluster as consisting of monomers
of the i-th type only, and there is no interaction between monomers of
the i-th and j-th type, two distinct clusters are "transparent" to
each other and I can track plenty of them simultaneously.
I can now do something similar with the inter_dpd.
Some questions:

(1) In setting up the interaction:

inter X Y inter_dpd GAMMA CUTOFF WF TGAMMA TCUTOFF TWF

what do  GAMMA CUTOFF WF TGAMMA TCUTOFF TWF stand for?
Are  GAMMA CUTOFF WF,  the damping, cut-off and the noise strength as
for  for the DPD thermostat, but only for particles of type X?
Are the quantities starting with "T" the same for particles of type Y?
Is there any reference paper?
(2) Do I need to stop the centre-of-mass motion before setting up this
thermostat? I refer to the galileiTransformParticles, which is not
documented in detail in the user guide.

Many thanks

Lorenzo