Re: [ESPResSo-users] Espresso/Espresso++ and multiphase fluids

From: Peter Košovan
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Espresso/Espresso++ and multiphase fluids
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:44:09 +0100

Hi Markus,

I find the statement that Espresso++ is a successor of Espresso misleading, although not really untrue. A more informative but less appealing to a new Espresso++ user would be to state that it is a successor of some ancient version of Espresso. Both packages have common roots, share parts of the name and of the user/developer communities but they are different software projects and their development is independent.

I think it's unfortunate that the homepage of Espresso++ makes the impression that Espresso will be discontinued and displaced by Espresso++. As far as I know, there are no such plans among the Espresso developers. Perhaps Axel or Olaf can comment in more detail.

With regards,

peter

Dear Espresso-community,

I have read that Espresso++ is the successor of Espresso. Does it mean, that  the support of Espresso will be stopped soon and one should swap to Espresso++? So far, the documentation of the latter does not seem to be that extensive as the one of ESPresSo.
I have also read the paper on Espresso++ (DOI: 10.1016/j.cpc.2012.12.004) which states, that the main difference lies in the ability of providing AdResS. Besides that, are there other reasons why one should choose ESPresSo++ over ESPresSo?

Furthermore I am interested in the simulation of multiphase fluids. I am thinking of simulations of flow-focusing devices, joining of droplets or injection of droplets. ESPresSo should be able doing that using the Shan-Chen algorithm , shouldn’t it? Does anyone of you has tried it before and could tell me about his experience, please?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Markus Wink

--
Dr. Peter Košovan

Departmtent of Physical and Macromolecular Chemistry
Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic

Katedra fyzikální a makromolekulární chemie
Přírodovědecká fakulta Univerzity Karlovy v Praze

www.natur.cuni.cz/chemistry/fyzchem/
Tel. +420221951290
Fax +420224919752