Re: [ESPResSo-users] radius of gyration

From: Stefan Kesselheim
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] radius of gyration
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 12:31:36 +0200

Hi Roya,
why are you worried?
Last time I wrote:
rg is a fluctuating quantity, that depends on the conformation of the polymer
(you could say, rg describes how extended a certain polymer conformation is).
You probably want to obtain the mean value, which people tend to call the
"radius of gyration of a polymer".

If you look at your polymer in vmd, you'll see that it fluctuates. The radius
of gyration is not constant, but can change a lot. Look up the definition, and
you will see that it is a function of all monomer positions. As they can
fluctuate, the radius of gyration fluctuates.

Please don't forget: This is the Espresso users mailing list. People here
gladly help with Espresso-related questions, but we can not be your scientific
advisors.

Cheers
Stefan