Re: [ESPResSo-users] GPU Lattice Boltzmann

From: Wink, Markus
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] GPU Lattice Boltzmann
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 08:21:37 +0000

Hello Georg, hello David,

thanks a lot for your answers. Unfortunately, I am still in the dark concerning the requirements of the hardware for the LBM on GPU.

I have found the diploma thesis of Dominic Röhm. He performed his studies on a NVIDIA Tesla C2050. The successor of it is the K40 I think. I was wondering, if one could also use a Geforce Titan Z instead (Or any other Geforce model). I am aware of, that the Geforce does not have ECC, nevertheless, would you see that as a problem? Would you recommend FP64 or is FP32 sufficient for LB simulations?

Does anyone have tried to use a Geforce model to simulate an LBM fluid? Furthermore I found out, that the Titan has got two chips. Concerning the mailing archive (http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/espressomd-users/2013-08/msg00004.html) it is not possible to use more than one GPU for the simulation (I guess that the Geforce Titan acts as two GPUs, am I right?). Is it still valid, or outdated in the current master?

Has anybody any recommendations or comments on the questions above?

Greetings

Markus