Re: [ESPResSo-users] No conservation of momentum/mass in LBM ??

From: Wink, Markus
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] No conservation of momentum/mass in LBM ??
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 14:51:00 +0000

Hello everybody,

> Your plot suggests that the inlet velocity is different from the outlet
> velocity. In that case it makes sense that the boundary effects have a
> different extent.

Sorry for the misleading picture. The first and last data point should of cause
be the velocity of the rhomboid. I set both rhomboids with the same velocity
(see tcl-script attached). So the boundary effects should have same extent,
which they clearly don't have. Could this also be related to a slightly
compressed fluid?

> In LB, as you say, the pressure is proportional to the density, so you could
> set the density at the outlet. This is in fact what the Zhou/He boundary
> condition effectively does.

Is it really that simple? I mean, for the outlet we have 5 unknown distribution
functions (the ones having a velocity vector pointing inwards to the channel).
If I set a certain density at the outlet, I only have one equation for those 5
unknown distributions. I could also imply a normal output boundary condition
for the flow, so setting u_y and u_z to zero. This gives me another two
relations. As far as I know, Zou/He assume furthermore, that for the
non-equilibrium part of the distribution function there is a bounce-back rule,
giving the last two relations needed to solve the system of equations.
I am just wondering, if it is promising to just set the density at the outlet
to a certain value (maybe in combination with normal output condition for the
velocity) to get rid of the output effects. Any idea/feeling about it?

Greetings

Markus