Future of GPU support in Espresso

From: Rudolf Weeber
Subject: Future of GPU support in Espresso
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 16:17:27 +0200

Dear Espresso users,

many thanks to the participants of the GPU survey.
Your answers gave us an idea, how the GPU features are used outside the group
in Stuttgart.

According to the replies, the most important GPU feature is the
lattice-Boltzmann implementation. Uses include quite dilute systems, where the
LB performance dominates the total simulation time.

We have decided to proceed as follows:

* The next feature release (4.2) will be made, before transitioning to the
Walberla LB implementation. It will have GPU support including the existing LB
GPU implementation.

* This release will receive bug fixes until the feature release thereafter,
Espresso 4.3 is made. In the past, feature releases have been made in intervals
of 12-18 months, but this depends on what features are contributed over a given
period.

* After 4.2 is released, we will transition to the Walberla-based
lattice-Boltzmann method in the development branch. This will be the CPU
version, initially. We will then publish performance comparisons against the
GPU LB in Espresso 4.2.. Based on these, and your answers to the survey, we can
then figure out whether putting in the work to integrate Walberla's GPU support
in Espresso and continuing to maintain our GPU build and test infrastructure
makes sense.

Regards, Rudolf

--
Dr. Rudolf Weeber