freeipmi-users

RE: [Freeipmi-users] ASUS IPMI card

From: Al Chu
Subject: RE: [Freeipmi-users] ASUS IPMI card
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:43:54 -0700

Hey Evan,

Just so I'm not mistaken, you're saying that ipmi-sensors works over the
LAN, but ipmipower and ipmiconsole don't? Also, just to make sure,
you're using FreeIPMI 0.4.2?

> Are the SOL Enable/Disable commands sent by the ipmipower tool, or the
> Deactivate Payload commands?

The SOL enable/disable & Deactivate payload commands are specific to
SOL, don't worry about them for ipmipower.

> Using the bmc-config tool, my SOL_Conf section is completely blank.

It's quite possible Asus implemented that section incorrectly, which is
why they provided you with special openipmicmd calls.

There's a lot of debugging we can do to get to the bottom of this.  Lets
start with just ipmipower to make things simpler.  Can you try using the
FreeIPMI debug rpms (on the webpage, or if you are compiling from
source, just add --enable-debug when you run ./configure) so we can get
extra debug info?

With ipmipower try:

> ipmipower -h <yournode> -u <yourusername> -p <yourpassword> -l admin
--stat --debug --ipmidump

The above gets me a bunch of info for an IPMI 1.5 lan session.

> ipmipower -h <yournode> -u <yourusername> -p <yourpassword> -l admin -
R 2.0 -T 2 --debug --ipmidump --stat

The second one copies exactly the authentication/encryption options
given by the "Set SOL Enable" given below.  So I can get more debug info
that way too.

You may want to try w/o the debug options first, just to see if they
work first of course :-)

Thanks,
Al