freeipmi-users

[Freeipmi-users] Re: problem with freeipmi 0.5.3 and intel SE7221BK1-E

From: ulrich
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Re: problem with freeipmi 0.5.3 and intel SE7221BK1-E
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:29:01 +0100

Welcome to the Club.....

exact the same behavior on my Server
using
Freeipmi 0.4.3
Intel SE7320SP2

please see my posting from 4.9.2007 containing some Test-Output

this must be related to the mBMC PC87431 from WINBOND (formerly National
Semiconductor) which is used on both Boards (SE7320SP2 and SE72221BK1-E)
and several other Intel Server-Boards.

You' would really help me (and others) spending some time on this problem

any hints for debugging are welcome

btw.

Please read this PDF-Document containig a warning from INTEL regarding
possible Memory-Module damage....
exactly this did happen to me in November (2 DIMMS 1GB were killed)

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/aa_80302.pdf

----snip----
Root Cause
Investigation has determined that the inoperable condition is caused by the
DIMM Serial Presence Detect (SPD)
information being corrupted. The SPD contains vital information about the DIMM
such as size, data width and speed.
The BIOS needs this information to correctly configure the server during Power
On Self Test (POST). When the SPD
information is no longer readable, the BIOS will stop the boot process and
indicate a fatal system memory error.
Investigation has shown that, under some circumstances, the mBMC may
incorrectly respond when another device
such as a DIMM SPD is being addressed. In the case of the computer
interrogation software initiating memory
discovery, the mBMC incorrectly responds to that software and writes
unintelligible information to the SPD. The
condition is not limited to an interaction with other software such as Intel’s
management software but is exacerbated
when other software is running.