freeipmi-users

Re: [Freeipmi-users] rmcpping and simulated pong replies

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] rmcpping and simulated pong replies
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 09:55:35 -0700

Hey Thomas,

> In the file ping-tool-common.c at line 522 (freeipmi v0.8.6), only
> the message sequence number equality is tested.
>
> My question is rather simple : what is exactly tested by rmcpping to
> identify a correct pong reply ?

In rmcpping.c it checks that the packet is of the right message type (a
pong) and the message sequence number is valid too.

If I had to bet, you may be failing in this part:

  if ((ret = unassemble_rmcp_pkt (buf,
                                  buflen,
                                  obj_rmcp_hdr,
                                  obj_rmcp_cmd)) < 0)
    ipmi_ping_err_exit ("unassemble_rmcp_pkt: %s", strerror (errno));

  if (!ret)
    {
      rv = 0;
      goto cleanup;
    }

If the packet is ill-formed, unassemble_rmcp_pkt will return 0.
Ill-formed usually means a packet is not a correct length.

Are you adding the 6 bytes of "reserved" data at the end of the packet?
I could see how one might think it's optional, but looking at the spec,
it appears to be required.

Al

--
Albert Chu