freeipmi-users

Re: [Freeipmi-users] Rookie ipmiconsole question

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Rookie ipmiconsole question
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 09:55:00 -0800

Hi Tudor,

On Fri, 2012-11-23 at 09:12 +1100, Tudor Holton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had mixed success with the various IPMI tools, but the
> freeipmi-tools seem to work best with an IBM x3250 M2 I've been handed
> to play with.  I've managed to do various things with bmc-config.
>
> However, I'm really stuck at using the Serial-Over-Lan console.
>
> If I do:
>      ipmiconsole -h <bmc-ip>
>
> I get:
>      [SOL Established]
> and it hangs as if waiting for me to do something.

The SOL connection is established, but something else appears to be
prohibiting proper console output from happening.

> I've read enough to know that this isn't an error.  I presume it's a
> connection?  Every howto I've looked at says "And your console should be
> connected at this point."  (or words to that effect.)  A couple
> reference the use of agetty.
>
> However, if I do:
>      agetty tty0
>      or
>      agetty tty1
>
> The connection times out.

Hmmm, shouldn't it be ttyS0 or ttyS1?

> I don't know what to expect here because I've never used ipmi before.
> What should I be doing to get access to the SOL console? Being as it's
> serial I was expecting to use minicom or kermit or something like that.
> Should I be setting something up before making the SOL connection?  I'm
> using Ubuntu 12.10.

You're pretty close.  Probably just a mis-setup somewhere along the way.
I list the common mistakes here in the FreeIPMI FAQ. Have you verified
that everything is set right?

http://www.gnu.org/software/freeipmi/freeipmi-faq.html#What-setup-is-needed-for-Serial-over-LAN-_0028SOL_0029-or-Ipmiconsole_003f

Al