freeipmi-users

[Freeipmi-users] Lost

From: merc1984
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Lost
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 13:29:39 -0700

I can't make heads or tails out of this.  I've gone through the docs and
installed FreeIPMI on the IPMI system as well as on the system I want to
access it remotely from. (both Debian Testing)

I gather the next step is to run 'ipmi-config --checkout' in order to be
able to access the IPMI server from the LAN by setting IP and MAC of the
destination machine, but it doesn't say whether this should be run on
the server or client machine.  I can tell you that on the server machine
it just hangs.  But how else would I tell the client where the server
is?  On the server it spews out tons of information, but no actual
config file is written in /etc/freeipmi.  Or am I supposed to run this
as the user who will be running the utilities?  It doesn't say anywhere.

Docs are unusable, unless you know everything about everything about
FreeIPMI.  Isn't there a GUI for this?  I don't have time to learn a
whole new language/paradigm.