Re: [ft-devel] A possible fix for potential memory leak in FT_GlyphSlot_

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] A possible fix for potential memory leak in FT_GlyphSlot_Own_Bitmap and some other questions about FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden()
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 12:03:18 +0100 (CET)

> In freetype 2.3.7, FT_GlyphSlot_Own_Bitmap does not release the old
> bitmap resource.  Then I give a possible patch for it.

I don't think this patch is correct.  If you run `ftview' (which uses
this function if you press key `2') with valgrind, you can see that
all allocated memory is properly freed.

> And I have some other questions about FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden(),
>
> In include/freetype/ftsynth.h
>   /* Do not use this function directly!  Copy the code to */
>   /* your application and modify it to suit your need.    */

This comment is still true -- there is no parameterization of the
boldness factor.

>   FT_EXPORT( void )
>   FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden( FT_GlyphSlot  slot );
>
> And in FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden, it calls FT_GlyphSlot_Own_Bitmap, but
> there are some internal calls in FT_GlyphSlot_Own_Bitmap, such as
> FT_SLOT_FACE and FT_PIX_FLOOR(they marcos).

I've moved FT_GlyphSlot_Own_Bitmap to a ftbitmap.h to make it
`official'; I've also replaced the two internal macros with real code.

> I just want to make sure whether now FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden() is
> stable enough or not. Is seemed many toolkits for CJK fonts depend
> on this API.

It's stable but not part of the `official' FreeType API.  Copy and
paste is the right way.