Re: [ft-devel] Problem with ligatures and strikes

From: Michal Nowakowski
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Problem with ligatures and strikes
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:12:00 +0200

W dniu 10.06.2010 08:49, Werner LEMBERG pisze:

The Calibri font shipped in Windows XP has bitmap strikes for a
variety of sizes, but from what I understand, no bitmap glyphs for
many ligature combination it defines in its GSUB table, for example,
for 'tt', 'ft', 'ffi' among others.  That results in very ugly
rendering (see attached).

My question is, how does Windows deal with this?

I'm interested in an answer too.  Anyone here who has some insight?

Attached are some screenshots to show how my XP SP3 renders this string
Done with Firefox, with ligatures enabled- at least it looks so;
Notepad schows them clearly disjoined at 18 pt.

Regards,
MichaƂ Nowakowski