Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 11:04:51 +0200

I used a zoom-in tool to examine the pixels in your before and after
screen shots. The left sides of the stems were unchanged while the right
sides were darker.

Ah, okay ;)

Alexei has explained how this is the result of using the existing
emboldener. I don't think it is a problem. It only caught my eye because
the CFF stem darkener, which works on the outline, applies darkening to
both sides. If we took the approach of darkening TT outlines before
applying the autohinter, I'd expect the same: darkening on both sides.

Technically, the autohinter could apply emboldening *before* applying hints. That would require more fiddling and/or more emboldening calls that may drag down performance, I didn't seriously look at that yet. One-sided emboldening could be a problem then, I don't know..

As for subpixel rendering, that's to be expected. For vertical LCD
stripes, it should sharpen vertical stems.

Hm, yeah. I noticed that DirectWrite's grayscale output (e.g. in Edge) doesn't look too clean either. Oh well. It's high time high-DPI screens flood the market.