[ft-devel] Theme designs for the FreeType Website

From: Nikhil Ramakrishnan
Subject: [ft-devel] Theme designs for the FreeType Website
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 23:42:27 +0530

Hi all,

I am looking at different themes for the rest of the website. I have
seen some nice Jekyll, MkDocs and other themes would like to share
them.

1.  Documentation Theme (Jekyll)

    Link - http://idratherbewriting.com/documentation-theme-jekyll/

    This is the same theme being currently used by Google for the
    GSoC guides. It's a very simple theme with a lot of customizable
    elements.

2.  Jekyll Doc Theme

    Link - https://aksakalli.github.io/jekyll-doc-theme/

    This is a more modern-looking parent theme with many different
    'looks'. They can be viewed here - https://bootswatch.com/3/

3.  Other Jekyll themes

    There are many other Jekyll themes available at
    http://jekyllthemes.org/. Many of these are blog-oriented, so
    they might not be fit for the project.

Although Jekyll is very customizable, it also means that there are a
lot of configuration files that need to be maintained. This is not
necessarily a bad thing.

4.  MkDocs again!

    Themes list - https://github.com/mkdocs/mkdocs/wiki/MkDocs-Themes

    MkDocs has a bare minimum configuration requirement, and things
    can be easily modified with custom CSS / JS. However this does
    limit what one can do with it without touching the core theme
    files.

Some more interesting themes

* http://hyde.getpoole.com/
* https://themes.gohugo.io/

Depending on the theme selected, customization can be added later.
I will be working on converting the pages to markdown, meanwhile
(mostly using pandoc).

Please recommend a theme, so that I can implement it and get a demo
site up for testing.

Thank you!

--
Nikhil