Re: Edge effect (Depressed) on a Pixmap buffer using freetype lib

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: Edge effect (Depressed) on a Pixmap buffer using freetype lib
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 08:48:25 -0400

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 8:28 AM Aurovind Sagar <easagar@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are using FreeType. Sorry, the intention was not to report any bug. We are
> looking for suggestions. We are not from graphics background, hence please
> excuse if we have asked any obvious questions.

Guys, you need to learn about alpha blending. In the simplest terms: a
glyph bitmap is colorless but rather gives you a proportion of brush
and background colors: zeros mean that background is unchanged, 255
means it turns into purely brush color, something in between is a mix of
colors. Then you just apply several layers like this: shade first,
filled body second, outline third.