Re: test font with both SVG and COLR table

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: test font with both SVG and COLR table
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 07:48:23 +0000 (UTC)

> While working on the new SVG support in FreeType three questions
> came to my mind.

After some working on the documentation I believe I can now answer two
questions by myself :-) The thing is that for serious handling of
`COLR` you must not use the `FT_LOAD_COLOR` flag at all (which only
provides a convenience rendering for `COLR`).  Instead, the
application has to handle the color layers by itself.

> (1) What table should have precedence?  I wonder what other font
>     engines do.  [I think 'SVG' should have precedence, and Moazin
>     implemented it that way.]

The question doesn't arise for serious `COLR` handling, as described
above.  In case of the convenience `COLR` rendering, `SVG` takes
precendence.

> (2) Does FreeType properly support this situation?  In particular,
>     what happens if SVG support is disabled (or no hooks set), but
>     'COLR' handling is present?
>
>     [Don't know yet – I suspect there are issues.]

This must still be tested.

> (3) Should FreeType provide a means to select between 'SVG' and
>     'COLR'?  Right now, both 'SVG' and 'COLR' support are activated
>     with `FT_LOAD_COLOR`, which doesn't allow this.  [I think this
>     solution is OK.]

Yes, it is OK.