Re: help needed for cmake problem (FreeType issue #897)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: help needed for cmake problem (FreeType issue #897)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 15:51:14 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Tom,

> So I think the thrust of this issue is when people want to build
> outside of cmake, and the corresponding freetype.pc file can't find
> bzip2.pc.

Toshiya-san has fixed this meanwhile in the git repository.  Please
check.

> SOme distros have made .pc files for bzip2 via patches to upstream,
> but for the life of me, I don't understand _why_ they haven't
> submitted them for inclusion to bzip2.

They have!  It is in the 'modern' bzip2 repository since 2½ years:

  https://gitlab.com/bzip2/bzip2/-/blob/master/bzip2.pc.in

Alas, there was no bzip2 release since then.

> But bzip2 seems to be pretty lightweight and has a license that
> appears to be amenable to the FreeType license, so why not just add
> it to the repo?

It simply doesn't belong to FreeType.  Starting to add optional stuff
into our git repository for foreign library is definitely a no-go.