Re: [GSoC 2022] Idea on Project "Improve FreeType demo programs"

From: Charlie Jiang
Subject: Re: [GSoC 2022] Idea on Project "Improve FreeType demo programs"
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 17:53:18 +0800

Hello Werner,

Thanks for your quick reply!

However, a
quick search in the internet gives me

   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/librsvg/-/tree/main/win32

Does this help?  Otherwise, compiling the demo programs without
'librsvg' is fully sufficient for improving the demo programs.

Unfortunately, as the page indicates, Gdk-Pixbuf is required to build librsvg from stratch, which is considerably hard (it has even more indirect dependencies). However eventually I will sort it out (maybe after the whole improvement is completed).

Good question, I don't know.  Revising FreeType's build system is
another GSoC project:-)

I saw that project. It will be optimal if he is willing to help us out. Unfortunately both Visual Studio and CLion don't play very well with MesonBuild. I'm used to use CMake to develop Qt projects in VS, but I'm fully open to other options or crafting some new solutions :).

The same – and a lack of stamina.  Improvements are most welcomed.

Definitely, it will be improved if the application is successful.

(IME problem) Interesting.  Alexei?

Maybe I can test it out since I have an environment with multiple IME installed (by Microsoft and by 3rd parties).

Do you have suggestions how to improve that (arrow key problem)?

I will give it a try before the application, since I've worked on another project about their console attachment issue recently (see https://github.com/restic/restic/issues/3681 https://github.com/restic/restic/issues/3692 and https://github.com/restic/restic/pull/3696, and my username is cqjjjzr).

Ideally yes, allowing `ftinspect` being executed on the command line
as a batch program.  Alas, such an approach doesn't work on Windows
since on that platform you can't execute a GUI program on the command
line.

Not quite, factually `ftinspect` is current executable on the command line on Windows (just like on Linux). The commandline arguments are working as well, so it shouldn't be a problem here. My consideration is the added complexity.

Not all demo programs make sense for inclusion.  `ftbench` and
`ftdiff`, however, are useful.

I see, I'll check these two tools out and include them in my proposal.

No, those skills are not prerequisites.
Not at all:-)   It's great that you are interested in helping us.

It's extremely exciting to hear it :D

Thanks and cheers,
Charlie Jiang