Re: [GSoC 2022] Idea on Project "Improve FreeType demo programs"

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [GSoC 2022] Idea on Project "Improve FreeType demo programs"
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 19:18:36 -0400

  1. I've played around with ftgrid and ftview, but not all features of them.
    They directly crash when I press "?" if an IME is enabled (e.g. MS Pinyin Input Method).
    Some keys are not working on Windows (notably arrow keys, maybe related to console-attachment problems)
    The keyboard-based control is not so straightforward (at least for Windows users), and moving towards a fully Qt-based GUI could certainly relieve this. However, I noticed some automation functionalities are present (-k option, and p stroke). Should I consider them in ftinspect project?
The lightweight demos rely on traditional Windows API and protocols. There is no need to adopt them to anything beyond that. It sounds like you’re are more interested in ftinspect anyway. There you can borrow any suitable functionality.
  1. There're other tools besides ftgrid and ftview (ftbench, ftchkwd, ftdiff ...). Should I include all of them in ftinspect as well?
No. I would imagine ftview and ftgrid only to start.
  1. I'm not familiar with text rendering and font processing, therefore I'm refering to FreeType documentations and other online materials. Are those skills considered as prerequisites before I submit my proposal?
Yes. These are FreeType demos. We’re not really interested in Windows API demos except perhaps for side-by-side comparisons. That would be cool actually.

Alexei