Re: [GSoC 2022] Idea on Project "Improve FreeType demo programs"

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [GSoC 2022] Idea on Project "Improve FreeType demo programs"
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 09:43:53 +0000 (UTC)

>> I'm not familiar with text rendering and font processing, therefore
>> I'm refering to FreeType documentations and other online materials.
>> Are those skills considered as prerequisites before I submit my
>> proposal?
>
> Yes.  These are FreeType demos.  We’re not really interested in
> Windows API demos except perhaps for side-by-side comparisons. That
> would be cool actually.

Ha, Alexei says exactly the opposite of what I said :-)

A clarification: 'being familiar with rendering and font processing'
doesn't necessarily mean that you are fluent with such programming.
It's rather that you should get acquainted with the concepts and
technical terms of font technology (ascender, descender, EM square,
etc., etc.) and rasterization (e.g., image blitting).  For example,
the OpenType specification contains some introductory material for the
former that might help.

Or to say it differently: If you can understand (from a conceptional
point of view) what `ftview` and the other demo programs do, you are
on the right track.