Re: [GSoC 2022] Idea on Project "Improve FreeType demo programs"

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [GSoC 2022] Idea on Project "Improve FreeType demo programs"
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 15:00:46 +0000 (UTC)

> [...] when I looked into the GSoC 2019 project completed by another
> student
> (https://gist.github.com/GeVic/75889ae2728f6dee0a490166ff8e2271), I
> noticed:
>
> 1. He already finished integrating several other tools including
>    ftdump, ftstring, ftview and ftlint.  Therefore I wonder how
>    should I describe my project?  It seems that I shouldn't describe
>    it as making the integration from scratch (factually it looks
>    like the work has already been done!).

Simply omit the word 'scratch' :-)

> 2. The code was never merged to master branch.

Yes, it was not really working as expected.

> 3. The code from veeki-gsoc-experimental branch was not compiling. I
>    made some minor fix so it compiles against the latest FreeType2
>    upstream source.

OK.  Maybe you can re-use some parts of it – this is up to you,
however.

> 4. When I load some large fonts (especially CJK fonts), the
>    performance was sub-optimal.  The "All Glyphs" view tooks seconds
>    to load.

Yep.  I think this was due to an insufficient understanding of the Qt
toolkit and how to implement a proper GUI for features.

> 5. For unknown reasons, most CJK characters won't render.  Instead,
>    white boxes are rendered.

Well...

> 6. The overall user experience and GUI logic can be further
>    improved.

Indeed.

> 7. The "Multi View" hasn't been implemented yet - what is this?

Uh, no idea.  What exactly are you referring to?

> Additionally, could I submit my current proposal as draft, so you
> could make some comments for further revising?

Of course, please do so!